MICA GK : Important Areas by iQuanta
Q1. The following brands belong to which retail chain; wowmom, superyoung, superyoun celeberations?
1. Fashion Bazaar
3. Toonz retail
4. Shopper Stop
OA: Toonz Retail, the fastest homegrown retail chain for all the needs and occasions of kids from 0 to 12 years.
Q2. Name the parent company for each of these popular retail brands.
1. Pantaloons – Future Group
2. Shopper’s Stop – K Raheja Group
3. More – Aditya Birla Group
4. Lifestyle – Landmark Group
5. Health & Glow – RPG Group
6. Star India Bazaar – Tata Group
7. Crossword Book Store – K Raheja Group
8. Big Bazaar – Future Group
9. Décor – K Raheja Group
10. Westside – Tata Group operated by Trent
Q3. Which of the following is a live online auction platform launched by Mahindra First Choice Wheels?
OA: eDiig (www.ediig.com), India’s leading online vehicle auction platform and a division of Mahindra First Choice Wheels Ltd. (MFCWL), announced the launch of True Time Bids (www.truetimebids.com), a live online-offline auction platform allowing buyers to participate in traditional ‘on the ground’ used-car auctions via the internet in real-time.
Q4. Name the CEO of the following ventures:
1. Olx – Amarjit Singh Batra
2. Quickr – Pranay Chulet
3. Shopclues – Sandeep Aggarwal
4. Snapdeal – Kunal Bahl
5. One97 Communications (Paytm) – Vijay Shekhar Sharma
6. InMobi – Naveen Tiwari
7. Flipkart – Kalyan Krishnamoorthy
8. Ola Cabs – Bhavish Aggarwal
9. Bhavin Turakhia – MediaNet
10. Oyo Rooms – Ritesh Aggarwal
11. Freecharge – Sangram Singh
12. Payback India – Gautam Kaushik
Q5. ‘The Wedding Store’, a one stop shop for all the wedding needs is launched by which of the following ventures?
OA: ‘The Wedding Store’ at ShopClues helps you shop for all the occasions associated with your wedding. So be it your Sangeet ceremony or Bachelorette party, ShopClues has on offer the best of everything from the perfect trousseau to the most irresistible accessories.
Q6. Name the CEO of these AD Agencies
1. Rediffusion DYR
Diwan Arun Nanda – Chairman and Managing Director
Famous clients: Emami and Hamdard
2. Contract Advertising
CEO : Raji Ramaswamy
Clients: HSBC, NIIT, Cadbury , Dabur, Tata Group, Shoppers’ Stop, JK Industries, Madura Garments , Wipro, Asian Paints
3. FCB Ulka
CEO : Nitin Karkare
Clients: Abbott, Amul, Candyman, Tata Salt, Cargill, Whirlpool
4. Grey Worldwide
Sunil Lulla : Chairman and MD
Clients: Indian Airforce, Radio City, Dell, Sensodyne, Britannia
5. Mudra Communications
Clients: Orbit, Pan Bahar, Canon, Gelusil
6. Leo Burnett
Saurabh Verma, CEO, South Asia
(Rat lo ache se MICA Alumni hai)
Clients: Craftsvilla, Amazon, HDFC, Amazon
India CEO: Tarun Rai
His clients included Hindustan Unilever, Diageo, GlaxoSmithkline, Pizza Hut, DeBeers, ITC, Tata Steel, Nestle, Hero, Godrej and Kellogg’s.
8. Lowe Lintas
Clients: Unilever, Idea Cellular, AXE, LG, Maruti Udyog, ITC, Bajaj Auto, J&J , The Hindu
9. Mcann Erickson
Executive Director and CEO: Prasoon Joshi
10. Ogilvy and Mather
Piyush Pandey- Executive Chairman, MICA Alumni
He received Padma Shri for advertising.
CEO is Kunal Jeswani (MICA Alumni). In O&M, the top decision making position is with Executive Director which is held by Piyush Pandey.
Pandey joined McAleer and Keenor’s company in 1982, and in 1989 he moved to the creative department at O&M. Three years later, he was promoted to creative director, and then to national creative director. Pandey was nominated to the board of directors in 1995, and in 2004 was appointed executive chairman for Ogilvy India and South Asia. He later became vice-chairman of Ogilvy Asia-Pacific. During his tenure Ogilvy & Mather became the third-largest advertising agency in India, and Ogilvy India is considered one of the most creative offices in the Ogilvy network. In September 2006, Pandey was nominated to the Ogilvy worldwide board. He mentors creative executives from around the world at the Berlin School of Creative Leadership.
Clients: Microsoft, Samsung, Adidas, HCL, Viber, Havells, Cargill, Reckitt, Nestle, Telenor, Apollo, Fortis, Fastrack, ITC – John Players, Hamdard, Airtel
Q7. What is the newest feature in PayTm that allows you to locate the nearest PayTm store?
2. PayTm Locator
3. Store Finder
4. PayTm Point
OA: Paytm ‘Nearby’ will carry a directory of 800,000 of Paytm’s offline merchants and partners across India. Customers on their Paytm app or web can now browse through a list of shops & locations near them that offer services like accepting Paytm, adding cash to Paytm wallet & upgrading accounts by doing KYC. This not only provides convenience to customers but also provides visibility to thousands of small and medium merchants by connecting them to millions of Paytm customers.
Q8. Who is the CEO of Global Citizen Movement and when was it founded?
OA: Hugh Evans is the co-founder and CEO of the Global Citizen Movement. It was founded in 2008.
Q9. IRCTC has partnered with which of the following payment banks for ticket bookings?
3. Fino Paytech
4. Airtel Payments Bank
OA: FreeCharge, India’s fastest growing digital payments platform announced partnership with the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), a subsidiary of the Indian Railways and India’s largest travel website to provide digital payments for ticket bookings.
Q10. Ola built its new hardware platform ‘Ola Play’ in partnership with which of the following companies?
OA: In a global first, Ola, India’s most popular mobile app for transportation has launched ‘Ola Play’, a connected car platform for ride sharing that will transform the in-car experience for users on the go like never before. Ola Play is powered by proprietary in-car and cloud technologies from Ola, by bringing advance car controls, choice of personalized content and a fully connected interactive experience for the user. The platform hardware is a first of its kind solution built by Ola in partnership with Qualcomm.
Q11. In the run to tap into bottom of the pyramid the digital wallets have focussed on lighter apps. Which is the lightest digital wallet in the Indian Market?
1. MobiKwik Lite
4. Google Tez
OA: Google Tez is not a Digital Wallet though it is just 7 MB. Mobikwik Lite is lightest digital wallet with app size well under 1 MB.
Q12. Name the mobile payment solutions by Visa.
4. PayU Money
OA: mVisa, a Quick Response (QR) code-based mobile solution by Visa supports payments to merchants like Ongo (Taxis), TataSky, Idea, Pizza Hut and others.
Q13. Name the CEO of the following Media Groups and the brands owned by them.
1. HT Media
CEO: Rajiv Verma
Brands: Hindustan Times, Mint, Hindustan, Desimartini.com, Shine.com, Fever 104 FM, HT Horizons, HT City
2. The Times Group
CEO: Raj Jain
Brands: The Times of India, Economic Times, Femina, Radio Mirchi, Filmfare, ET Now, Mirror Now, Navbharat Times, mensXP.com, gaana.com, speakingtree.in, timesjobs.com, magicbricks.com, zigwheels.com
3. Zee Network
Owner: Subash Chandra
CEO: Punit goenka
Brands: Zee TV, &TV, Zee Live, Zee Theatre, Zee News, Zee Bollynova, Zee Bollymovies
4. NDTV Group
Executive Chairperson: Prannoy Roy
CEO: KVL Narayan Rao
Brands: mojarto.com, Gadget 360, NDTV 24X7, NDTV Prime, NDTV Profit, NDTV India, Car&Bike
5. DB Corp Ltd.
Managing Director and CEO: Sudhir Aggarwal
Brands: 94.3 My FM, Dainik Bhaskar, Fashion101.in, homeonline.com, DivyaMarathi, Divya Bhaskar
6. Network18 Group
Chairman: Mr. Adil Zainulbhai
Each brand in the group has its own CEO.
• Network18 manages various digital businesses including portals such as moneycontrol.com, ibnlive.com, burrp.com, in.com and firstpost.com. It also operates digital commerce properties like HomeShop18 and bookmyshow.com.
• Network18 is a leading player in the Publishing space publishes Forbes India, Overdrive, Better Interiors, and Better Photography. Network18 has also allied investments in Colosceum, Toppers, 24X7 Learning, Yatra, Ubona and other companies.
• Through its subsidiary ‘TV18 Broadcast Limited’, the group operates news channels – CNBC-TV18, CNBC Awaaz, CNBC Bajar, CNBC-TV18 Prime HD, CNN-News18, IBN7, ETV channels and IBN-Lokmat (a Marathi regional news channel in partnership with the Lokmat group).
• TV18 also operates a joint venture with Viacom, called Viacom18, which houses a portfolio of popular entertainment channels – Colors, Colors HD, Colors Infinity, Rishtey, MTV India, MTV Indies, Comedy Central, Vh1, Nick, Sonic, Nick Jr, Teen Nick and Viacom18 Motion Pictures, the group’s filmed entertainment business.
• TV18 operates a factual entertainment channel History TV18 through a joint venture with A+E Networks.
Q14. Which mobile carrier brought Pokemon Go to India by partnering with Niantic?
3. Reliance Jio
OA: Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited delights Indian gamers by bringing the sought-after, first-of-its-kind, Augmented Reality game ‘Pokémon GO’ to India in a partnership with Niantic, Inc. With this partnership, thousands of Reliance Digital Stores and select partner premises in India appeared as ‘PokéStops’ or ‘Gyms’ in the Pokémon GO game. On Jio’s social messaging app, JioChat, Pokémon players have access to an exclusive Pokémon Go Channel. The Pokémon Go Channel will enable Pokémon Go players to collaborate and be part of an exciting community of players.
Q15. Name the brand ambassadors of the following brands:
1. FruitsUp – Tapsee Pannu
2. Gionee – Virat Kohli and Prabhas
3. Swacch Bharat – Shilpa Shetty
4. Lloyd Electric – Amitabh Bachan
5. Gatorade – P.V. Sindhu
6. Loreal Professional (India) – Twinkle Khanna
7. Women’s World Cup – Sachin Tendulkar
8. Micromax – Anil Kapoor
9. Goibibo – Deepika Padukone
10. Voyalla – Ranvijay Singh
11. Puma Woman – Disha Patani
12. Yatra.com – Ranbir Kapoor
13. Skill India Campaign – Priayanka Chopra
14. Eazy Diner – Yuvraj Singh
15. Food Panda – Shahrukh Khan
16. Younger Face – Tapsee Pannu
17. Joyalukkas – Kajol
18. Bajaj Almond Hair Drops – Parineeti Chopra
Q16. Twitter has launched a new product which allows banks to provide customer care on their profile with a message button, allowing customers to send message to the business. Recently, a bank partnered with Twitter to launch this feature on their twitter profile. Which bank was it?
1. Kotak Mahindra
2. Yes Bank
3. Standard Chartered
4. ICICI Bank
OA: Twitter and ICICI Bank, announced a partnership that integrates a slew of digital customer care support features for ICICI Bank, benefiting millions of its customers with direct online response to their queries and feedback in real-time.
Q17. Name the company which has the this tagline.
1. Just do it – Nike
2. Think different – Apple
3. Shave time, Shave Money – Dollar Shave Club
4. Because you’re worth it – Loreal
5. Designed for driving pleasure – BMW
6. A diamond is forever – De Beers
7. Jiyo Sar Uthake – HDFC
8. Hum Hain Na – ICICI
9. Jagoo Re – Tata Tea
10. Gaale ki kharash ka First Aid – Strepsils
11. The Complete Man – Raymond
12. The best a man can get – Gillette
Do as many as you can.
Q18. Ask the parent company of these brands:
Brands: Aashirwad, Sunfeast, Bingo, Yipee, B Natural, Fabelle, Fiama, Vivel, Engage, Savlon, Classmate, Paperkraft, John Players, Mint-O, Candyman, Managal Deep
Brands: Axe, Cornetto, Dove, Knorr, Lifebuoy, Lipton, Lux, Magnum, Pepsodent, Ponds, Bru, Sunsilk, Vaseline, Tres Semme, Rin, Wheel, Lakme, Fair&Lovely, Surf Excel, Brooke Bond, Vim, Ayush, Kwality Walls
Brands: GoodDay, Marie, NutriChoice, Tiger, JimJam, Bourbon, Pure Magic
4. Nestle India
Brands: Everyday, A+, Nescafe, Nestea, BarOne, KitKat, Maggi, MilkyBar, Munch
Brands: Fem, Real, Chawanprash, Odonil, Odomos, Meswak, Gulabari, Hajmola, Honitus, Vatika, Pudinhara, Shilajit, Babool, Sani Fresh
Brands: Cheetos, Kurkure, Lay’s, Lehar Namkeen, Quaker Oats, Uncle Chipps, 7UP, Aquafina, Duke’s, Gatorade, Mirinda, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, Slice, Tropicana
7. Coca Cola
Brands: Powerade, Sprite, Fanta, Coca Cola, Coke Zero, Diet Coke, Minute Maid
8. Proctor and Gamble
Brands: Ambi Pur, Ariel, Duracell, Gillette, Head & Shoulders, Olay, Oral-B, Pampers, Pantene, Tide, Vicks, Wella, Whisper
Pro tip: Remember the logo of these brands too.
Q19. Questions on Mergers and Accquistions
1. Paytm accquired Nearbuy and Little to merge the two apps.
2. Indian e-commerce giant Flipkart acquired the Indian wing of eBay, which infused $500 million into Flipkart as well as sold its Indian operations unit for an exchange of equity stake in Flipkart. As Flipkart doesn’t have the global presence, the acquisition will bolster the cross border trade and help Flipkart to combat Amazon’s onslaught.
3. Axis Bank is one of the few tech savvy banks in India. It has been embracing technology to ease the banking. It acquired Accelyst Solutions Private Limited and Freecharge Payment Technologies Private Limited for $60 million. The acquisition will pave a way for its foray into proliferating digital payments space in the country.
4. Airtel which is under immense pressure due to losing customers and falling revenues is trying hard to regain its lost ground. The merger with Telenor India will give initial thrust to the company in the fight against Reliance Jio and Vodafone-Idea. Airtel is buying Telenor India’s operations in Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Maharashtra, Gujarat, UP (East), UP (West) and Assam circles, which contribute about 35% to Airtel’s total revenue.
5. Based in Bangalore, Halli Labs develops solutions to traditional problems using Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), and deep learning technologies. Google acquiredthis 4-month old startup with its CEO becoming Director of Engineering.
6. Idea Vodafone Merger
7. Bharti Airtel, India’s top telco and Tata entered into an agreement to merge Consumer Mobile Businesses (CMB) of TTSL and TTML into the Sunil Mittal-led telco. As part of the agreement, Airtel will absorb Tata consumer mobile business operations across the country in nineteen circles — 17 under TTSL and 2 under TTML.